Social Media 102 – A Simple List of Dos & Don’ts
In my last post, we covered the social media sites – Facebook – Twitter – LinkedIn –Instagram – Snapchat, Google+, Tumblr and Pinterest. Now you have heard of them and I have challenged you to check them out. Have you figured out how to use them? Are they right for you and your organization? These questions are a bit more complicated to answer in just one blog post. Connect with us or stop by the office, we would love to talk social media strategies with you. But for now, here is a social media dos and don’ts list to get you started:
- Do create an online presence and be found online.
- Do be consistent with your message. Stick to your brand philosophy.
- Do post often – come up with a schedule/plan.
- Do Google your name/business name to check what’s out there.
- Do BOOST posts after you have allowed your posts to organically reach your audience.
- Do take advantage of the filters and target your audience with social advertising.
- Do be careful what you tweet or say in general online. If you wouldn’t say it in a crowded elevator, don’t put it on social media.
- Don’t forget about the social media privacy settings.
- Do follow social media etiquette.
- Do network before you need to. Be proactive.
- Do use social media to build your network.
- Do get into it. Like in traditional networking, be willing to help someone else; that will make others more willing to help you.
- Do connect with people, but you don’t have to connect with EVERYONE.
- Do join groups and interact with your online community.
- Don’t spend too much time on the boss’s dime. It can get addictive, so time management is key.
- Do cut through the clutter – know what is important and share worthy.
- Do remember that even on your personal social presence you represent your company at all times.
- Do be authentic and honest. Don’t mislead or lie. Do be relevant and engaging. Don’t say anything you wouldn’t say in person.
- Do use tags and tools. Do check your tags to be sure they are accurate.
- Do keep your eyes peeled and your ears open and your finger on the pulse. Changes are happening all the time in social media. Keep yourself in the loop.
- Don’t SPAM or CREEP.
- Don’t try to be too gimmicky. Most have little patience for such blatancy in the social network.
- Do keep all your profiles up to date!
- Don’t try to do too much too fast.
- Don’t break copyright rules or steal content. Just because it is on the internet, doesn’t make it free.
I look forward to seeing you out there and connecting. I look forward to getting your targeted ads. You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram and Snapchat.